Now You Know
Do I Need a Life Coach?
Amy Kosh, Resilience Coach
31 October 2016
One of the biggest questions many people have is whether to start coaching at all. Will a life coach help? What do we do when we work with a coach? Why would I want to hire a life coach for myself, I mean…. really isn’t that selfish or a little silly? Actually hiring a life coach can be the single most personally and professionally productive thing you will do for your life and for your work.
“An article in Public Management revealed a study where training alone was compared to life coaching combined with training. The study showed that training alone increased productivity by 22.4% while training combined with weekly life coaching increased productivity by 88%”.
It all comes down to 4 key pieces:
- Accountability– Clients take bigger actions, set bigger goals and think bigger when they work with a professional coach.
- Expertise– A trained life coach knows how to help you set the right goals and work to reach them.
- Delivery– A well-trained coach knows how to use the right words so that you are naturally motivated.
- Speed– Most people find that things start to happen very quickly after hiring a life coach.
Most life coaching clients are healthy, successful people who might be a bit stuck or simply want to make a big change in their lives and want the support of their own personal coach to do so. Does this sound like you? Then keep on reading!
Is there is a gap between where you are now and where you want to be? Then there is room for life coaching.
The ICF (International Coaching Federation) puts it nicely:
“People hire a life coach because
- They want more.
- They want to grow.
- They want it easier.
It’s as simple as that. Life coaches help a client get all three. Quickly.”
Here are some truisms about life coaches:
- Your life coach will help you win in your own life!
- A good life coach is never afraid to tell you the truth and is willing to be fired at any time.
- Coaches are working with you to achieve your goals, and to help you create the life and work you desire most.
The basic philosophy of life coaching:
If there is a gap between where you are now and where you want to be, then there is room for life coaching. Why struggle on your own when you can get what you want out of life in a fraction of the time with the structure, support, and tools of a skilled life coach?
Want some data to back all this up? Here you go….
An article in Public Management revealed a study where training alone was compared to life coaching combined with training. The study showed that training alone increased productivity by 22.4% while training combined with weekly life coaching increased productivity by 88%. Here is why:
1) Accountability. Most life coaches have three or more calls a month with their clients. This regularly scheduled call prompts clients to get more done than they would if left to their own devices. Think about it, if you work out with a personal trainer at the gym, you work much harder than on your own. Clients take bigger actions, set bigger goals and think bigger when they work with a professional coach.
2) Expertise. The trained life coach knows how to help you set the right goals, make more money, and structure your personal and professional life to achieve greater productivity with less effort. You’ll achieve more in less time with the input of an accredited Life Coach on your side.
3) Delivery. A well-trained coach knows how to use the right words so that you are naturally motivated. It doesn’t take brow-beating or nagging when you are working with a skilled life coach. Coaching typically works best with a weekly call so clients have time to integrate new ways of thinking and take action each week toward their goals. Most life coaching is done by phone and delivered in half hour to one hour coaching calls. The experience is challenging and uplifting. You’ll look forward to your weekly calls with your life coach.
4) Speed. Most people find that things start to happen very quickly after hiring a life coach.
“People hire a life coach because:
– They want more.
– They want to grow.
– They want it easier.
It’s as simple as that. Life coaches help a client get all three. Quickly”
~ International Coaching Federation
Who works with a Life Coach?
Entrepreneurs, executives, business leaders, actors, musicians, creative people, managers, small business owners, start-ups, professionals and stay-at-home parents all reach their goals with the help of a life coach. If there is a gap between where you are now and where you want to be, there is room for life coaching. Not only will your life coach help you close the gap, your life coach will help you break through your limited beliefs and challenge you to think bigger.
What would you work on if you started coaching today?
- Setting and achieving goals and objectives
- Planning — business, career and life
- Blasting through blocks and fears
- Clearing clutter
- Financial security and independence
- Balancing business and personal life
- Making key decisions and designing strategies for success
- Communicating powerfully and succinctly
- Becoming a problem-free zone
- Building powerful relationships
- Breaking through the glass ceiling
- Getting promoted
- Finding the ideal career/work or business
- Finding the ideal partner/love/relationship
- Getting out of a rut
- Making an important life transition
- Starting a business
- Growing a business
- Living an ideal life
- Identifying core values and passions
- Fulfilling personal and emotional needs
- Getting organized
- Making more money
- Having loads more time to enjoy life
- Playing, having adventures, and a lot more fun!
- And much, much more…
Last but not least, life coaching provides a structure of support. Left to our own devices, we start out with the best intentions and then, we hit a snag and it can derail us completely or cause a long delay. A life coach can help you quickly break through blocks so that more is accomplished with less struggle and less effort.
Your coach is an objective, positive supporter. Not everyone is lucky enough to have such a friend or colleague to provide this. If you’ve been doing it solo, try seeing how much more you can accomplish with a life coach!
So now you’ve got the skinny on coaching.
If you’d like to know more about coaching… drop me a line and we’ll jump on a free 20-minute discovery call and you can ask me whatever you’d like.
“I appreciate Amy’s thoughtful approach to life coaching.
Amy created a foundation that seems very pragmatic and clear, leaving me as the client feeling confident in the process and of a positive outcome.” -Becka, Farmer and Mom
“Every time I talk with Amy, I come away feeling that she has seen a deeper quality in me, appreciating something that others don’t understand about me. I thank her again for that. Ultimately, Amy got me to a place where I felt like I had action items that made sense for me.” -Natasha, Musician and Yoga Instructor